Monthly Archives: February 2012
Glen Garioch is a highland single malt whisky which is one of the oldest whiskies produced in Scotland dating all the way back to 1797. The location for this famous distillery was chosen specifically for the production of barley in the Valley of the Garioch. Also located on “The Granary of Aberdeenshire” are crystal springs that add to the outstanding production of whisky from this distillery. It is and continues to be one of the oldest running and successful distilleries in Scotland, and worldwide for that matter.
The founder of Glen Garioch was John Manson and his younger brother Alexander, they chose the location specifically for the abundance of ingredients used to distill this unique tasting whisky. Glen Garioch is a single malt Scotch whisky. A single malt Scotch is defined as whisky that is made using a single pot distillation process that is distilled specifically in Scotland and must mature in oak casks for a minimum of three years. The malt of a single malt Scotch consists only of barley, whereas other types of malt can be made from rye and wheat. The single indicates that the malts in the whisky all come from one single distillery, not blended from multi-distilleries.
- Batch No. 11 – 25 year bottling which is matured exclusively in North American Oak
- Traditional old style smokiness with hints of spice and juicy fruits
- Batch No. 32 – 17 year bottling matured in North American Oak barrels with Cask Strength
- Perfect combination of subtle smoke flavors with floral aromas fresh from the Highlands
- Batch No. 38 – 19 year bottling
- Batch No. 34 – 19 year bottling
- Bottled at cask strength it has the old world taste of peat that is distinctive to Highland malt. Uniquely this batch is matured in a combination of sherry and bourbon wood which lends to its chocolate truffle and honeycomb taste with just the perfect hint of smoke
- Batch 1320 – 30 year bottling
- This is a unique batch that has the return to peat flavors that have made single malt Scotches famous. This is a time honored flavor that returns Glen Garioch to its roots of distillery
The vast number of different products is what keeps Glen Garioch distillery current. They have something in their distillery product line for every taste palate and price. The one characteristic of all of them, however, is the consistency and quality of taste. It is known for its high quality and brand recognition that has followed this distillery throughout the decades. The price point for this distillery ranges from medium to high depending on the year and type of whisky purchased. Consensus of this whisky is that no matter what bottling you chose, you will not be disappointed. This time honored traditional distillery company has survived throughout the decades through quality and reputation.